UV disinfection is effective at wavelengths from 200 nm to 300 nm. The UVC radiation emitted has a strong bactericidal effect. It is absorbed by the DNA, destroys its structure and inactivates living cells.
Microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, yeasts and fungi are rendered harmless within seconds by UV radiation.
If the irradiance is high enough, UV disinfection is a reliable and environmentally-friendly method because chemicals need not be added. Moreover, the microorganisms cannot become resistant to UV radiation.
- Kills bacteria, viruses and yeasts within seconds
- Taste or smell are not affected
- No formation of by-products hazardous to health (e.g. no THM formed)
- No added chemicals
- Low-maintenance method and simple handling
- Low operating costs
- Highest level of operational reliability