Precise temperature control is essential for many key technologies, including several aspects of our daily lives.
Pt-RTDs from Heraeus Nexensos have been used in pyrolytic ovens and home appliance applications for many years. A relatively new application for Pt sensors is monitoring the temperature of wood pellet cooking grills and meat, directly influencing the cooking experience and taste.
Pellet grills typically operate over a temperature range of 150 °F to 550 °F (about 65 °C to 290 °C), with an optimal range of 200 to 350 °F (about 95 to 180 °C) for most grilled items. A desire to properly sear meat is pushing manufacturers to offer units with maximum grill temperatures of 400 °C and higher.
To delivery uniform temperatures and ensure safe operation some grill models monitor not only the cooking chamber, but also the higher temperatures produced in the combustion chamber.
A reliable temperature control not only guarantees safe operation, but also maximizes the performance of the grill and the taste of the grilled food.
How does a pellet grill work and why is precision temperature monitoring required?
- The fuel source is uniform-sized hardwood pellets. A motor-driven auger feeds the pellets into a firebox
- A combustion fan ensures adequate air supply and promotes even temperature distribution
- A platinum temperature sensor provides grill temperature data to a digital temperature controller
- The controller manages the internal temperature by controlling the fuel and air flow to the firebox, ensuring the grill maintains the set-point temperature
- Remote monitoring and control via a smartphone app
- The venturi-style firebox creates the ultimate wood-burning fire, circulating pure hardwood smoke and flavor throughout the grill
- Pellet grills offer the fast pre-heat of gas grills with the aroma and taste of charcoal, without the wait
Many pellet grills utilize additional sensor probes to measure internal meat temperature. Accurate, real-time temperature measurement used with available apps provides easy remote monitoring, resulting in the highest food quality, aroma, and taste.